Sunday, March 15, 2020

Nazareth to Kfar Kisch on Israel National Trail: Day 42

A day of two mountains and some slippery mud.
Breakfast was at 8:00 am today rather than 7:00 am as I was told. Maybe because there were so few people staying at the hostel now that tourists are no longer allowed into Israel from other countries due to the Coronavirus outbreak. Abraham hostels have just sent an email saying they have now closed all their hostels due to the pandemic. I am wondering how long I can continue my trip for.
Due to the later breakfast I took a taxi to Mashad to continue on the trail rather than wait for the bus. After a climb up to the Mt Jona settlement I walked beside the road until I reached another iris reserve. The miniature blue ones had died back but there were some impressive white and brown iris.

Unusual wild iris

I walked through a forest for much of the day, mainly pines. Two mountains stood on my route. First there was Mount Devora, on its summit was a concrete memorial to the silver wedding anniversary of Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip. The "Royal" Forest it stood in was planted by Jewish communities of the United Kingdom. After a fast walk on a single lane tarmac road and through the community of Shibli, there was a considerably slower walk up the second mountain, the shapely Mount Tabor, a mountain standing on its own. Slow, not only because it was a steep ascent, but also as it was muddy and slippery. My boots were already made slick by a layer of mud. For each step I had to look and evaluate where to place my feet to make sure I did not slide backwards and fall. There were plenty of slide marks where others had slipped. Finally I reached somewhere near the top. I then hunted around for the entrance to the monastery and the Church of the Transfiguration, eventually finding it actually on the Israel National Trail. It was closed, although the sign said it would be open, maybe another response to the Coronavirus? As well as the monastery and church, which date from 1924, there were older ruins, no signs on them so I will have to look up what they were.

Mount Tabor

Climbing down was slightly less difficult than climbing up but still had the risk of a slip and a muddy bottom. As the sun cast a more golden light, I followed the riverside path through fields towards Kfar Kisch. The yellow flowers, reeds and eucalyptus trees beside the river made for an enjoyable walk. People in twos and threes passed by me, some of the ladies in hijabs, others not, all out for an evening stroll.

Riverside path to Kfar Kisch

I am now at the Tabor Land Guesthouse learning about the latest Coronavirus developments on the TV. Worrying.

No comments:

Post a Comment