Saturday, March 7, 2020

Petah Tikva to Tel Aviv on Israel National Trail: Day 34

Rain yesterday evening had made the trail muddy. I slowly, slithered around the interminable meanders of the River Yarkon before reaching a glorious park with tarmac paths.
First I had to return to the trail some 6 kilometres from my hotel. Initially along easy roads, quiet as it was Saturday, people were walking their children in the pleasant areas between the tower blocks. Then the going became difficult as I crossed fields and rejoined the Israel National Trail. An inch of so of mud stuck to the bottom of my boots.

Petah Tikva, tower blocks but some nice areas between them

Sweet singing sounded from a hall at the Baptist village, a centre for the denomination in Israel. After that the trail ran along side the River Yarkon until the end of the day. The river was extremely convoluted, the meanders massively multiplying the distance I had to walk such that following an hour or so of walking I was astonished at the small distance I had moved on the map. There were many places were the mud was deep, coating my boots and trouser bottoms with mud as I tried to find the firmest path through. Slips and slides threatened to end in a full fall, which I narrowly avoided.
Two of the under passes below busy highways were particularly difficult with thick, soft and squishy mud combined with large pools of opaque water of indeterminate depth. I met a large group coming from one. Their leader advised me to risk a crossing of the busy four lane highway, but two of the ladies said quietly that they had managed the underpass. I also managed it by walking on the steeply sloping, but rough concrete that formed one edge of the underpass. The group included a lady from the Geography department of Haifa University who was interested in why people walked the Israel National Trail, today I wondered myself.

Muddy track beside the Yarkon River

In truth, without the mud it would have been a pleasant walk. The river was edged by reeds and bamboo, the latter forming a arch over the trail in places. Eucalyptus trees bordered the river, which was surrounded by fields or citrus orchards. Curiously the oranges were not being picked but left to fall and rot on the ground. I disturbed a heron and spotted a pair of parrots and a small turtle swimming in the river. Some unknown creatures jumped into the water as I approached. 
On reaching an area of parkland my spirits rose, my endurance test in the mud was over as I wandered along tarmac paths. Being the weekend lots of people were out, sitting on the grass, jogging, cycling or travelling on electric scooters, often two people on the same scooter. There were families, dogs on leads, couples canoodling, Dads barbecuing beefburgers, filling the air with smoky, barbecue smells. The park followed the river, often on both sides. There was a boating lake, an outdoor "gym", an impressive arrangement of climbing walls, and a place selling pancake like things, I asked for one with nutella.

Park beside the Yarkon River in the outskirts of Tel Aviv

People were backlit by the sun, low in the sky as I walked towards my accommodation for the night, the Spot Hostel, where I have a small double room. It is indeed small but it has everything required, bed and bathroom. I found something to eat in the nearby port area, no longer a port but a place with restaurants, food stalls (many closing when I arrived) and shops.
Looking forward to an easier day tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment